Monday 11 August 2008

More Ramblings and a Tip

Ive had a few days off from posting as to be honest nothing very exciting has happened on the Smallholding lately.

Sharon has now sold all of her chicks that she has bread this year, a chap came to pick up the last 2 Silver Grey dorkings yesterday, he was trying to get her to sell some of her Lincolnshire Buff chicks but Sharon was having none of it.

We have so much Veg at the moment that we almost dont know what to do with it all, as there is only so much that 2 people can eat and our freezer can only hold so much, as it happens one of my sons Craig is visiting for a few weeks and he has the appitite of a horse even so we decided to put a sign out front saying Veg For Sale and have been pleasantly surprised at the amount we have sold. Sharon has had several trips up the polytunnel to keep customers happy.

The pigs continue to grow and have very nearly cleared the paddock for me it should make quite a nice winter vegetable garden. I do love all my animals but I think the pigs are my favorites, they are just so full of life and are great characters. We are currently having a rest from breeding pigs as we are resting the ground for 2 years.

The Pygmy Goats Willy & Milly are doing well but I did notice last week that they each had an infected ear around their ear tags. So I held them in turn each day while Sharon bathed the infected area with salt water, afterwards the infected ear was sprayed with iodene. I can happily report that both ears have now virtually healed up.

I am just soting out some permenant evening quarters for the Geese, who are both doing well & will post some pics when Ive finished.

To finish with here is a little tip for you. when you are out on the Smallholding doing some task or other it is very easy to lose track of time, and your lunch or dinner can easily get spoiled so to prevent this we have got an old dinner bell which Sharon rings when a meal or cup of tea is ready, it can clearly be heard and I can down tools and go up to the house for refreshment.

No comments: