Thursday 4 September 2008

Do Things Properly First Time

Side of Ducks New Paddock

Ducks New House


Sharon With Duck Ready For Trip To New Paddock

You may recall a few posts ago I was proudly showing off my new Des-Res for the Ducks and Scaty our rabbit.

I thought they had everything, a new hut, a nice pond and space to roam around in, which duck could ask for more. The trouble was I was making it look all nice & proper without thinking through the practicalities of it all.

The first problem was that I made the house too small I just converted an old chicken house, and although it may just about have done I didnt realise how quickly it would get soiled up with seven ducks pooing in it all night it meant it had too be completely cleaned out every day which was no easy task and it usually fell on Sharon to do it as I was at work.

Also the task of getting them in the said hut of an evening was an even harder task one that yours truely had to undertake every night after a few nights of expletives and cursing I moved the hut to a corner of the duck paddock and by herding them round to the hut I waited patiently while they all stood and looked at the pop hole then as if by magic one of the ducks would go in and that signaled a stampede and the rest quickly followed to my great relief, job done for another night.

I also didnt think about how quickly the ducks would mess up their pond within three days it was just green and horrible, it was a right awkward job to empty it, clean it and refill not to mention costly.

Something had to be done and as if fate had intervened I happened to get hold of a Wendy House for nothing all I had to do was dismantle it and take it away. It was decided that the ducks would be moved to the paddock where all the chickens were so all the birds would be together (now dosnt that make sense). I set about putting up the wendy house and with just a few small repais and alterations it was soon in place.
Most of the fencing was allready in place so I just had to put a small section accross the front edge. Their water And food in place and some straw in the wendy house it was ready for the ducks.
The photos above show Sharon holding one of the ducks ready to be taken to the new Ducks Des Res. They were all duely installed in there new abode and seemed happy with the extra room to roam around in.
All they need is a new pond and I am on the look out for one of those plastic shell type sand pits which make great ponds and are very easy to clean out as you can just tip them over to empty them.
That evening I went down to lock the chickens up and was surprised and quite amazed to find the Ducks all bedded down in their new shed. Fingers crossed long may it continue.
Finally a valuable lesson has been learnt here, always think things through and plan properly before getting stuck into a project.

No comments: