Wednesday 1 October 2008

Christmas is Coming

Christmas is coming but the lead up to it for me is not going to be pleasant.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has laid down the law and said she wants the house renovations completely finished by Christmas. She has only been waiting for 6 years so i thought surely 1 more year wont hurt, but Sharon does not see it that way and says she is fed up of living in a cave.

If Im honest I want to get the house finished as much as Sharon does, but dont tell her that.

When we moved to our Smallholding 6 years ago the house was in need of complete renovation and initially I took all the walls back to the bare brickwork, had all the damproofing done and also had the whole house completely rewired.

On taking down the kitchen and lounge ceilings (of which there was 2 plasterboard ones and a lathe and plaster one) I revealed the original wooden beams which were in great condition. Inside a crevice I found some old newspapers dating back to 1847 so that gave us some indication of how old the house was.

On seeing the beams Sharon said she wanted to see them exposed so I could JUST PLASTERBOARD INBETWEEN THEM.

I have had several plasterers come to give me a quote for this but none of them have wanted to take the job on. Sharon says I am a carpenter I should be able to do it myself. She is right I can do it, so that is part of my Christmas list, which is as follows

Board inbetween beams and skim in lounge & kitchen ceilings
Fit skirting in lounge
finish fitting log burner properly
box in pipes in lounge
repaint lounge
completely refit bathroom including new suite, shower, tiling etc
finish painting upstairs
strip paint off stairwell & wax
fit lounge & bathroom doors
carpet upstairs when work is finished (stone floor downstairs)
finish refitting kitchen including making canopy for extractor
Several other minor jobs and also some Ive forgot.

As you can see Im going to be a busy boy and my life will be a misery if I dont finish all the jobs.

Roll on Christmas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is alot of work to get done by Christmas! Good luck ;O

Mark Burrows said...

Yes it certainly is, but Ill give it a good go or my life will be a misery
Mark