Wednesday 8 October 2008

How To Get A Mud Bath

The Warrior Returns

When you think of a mud bath you might conjure up thoughts of a fantastic weekend away at some health farm.


Well let me strip those thoughts from your mind and let me tell you that you dont need to visit a health farm you can easily get a free mud bath just by trying to lock the Geese up here at Smallholding Tips.


Let me begin. A couple of nights ago I was a little late locking the animals up, it was about 11-15 and I said to Sharon I am just going out to lock up the animals and put the birds to bed, wont be long.


I went down the drive and into the paddock where the Geese are as I got to their shed I thought something isnt right.

As I shone the torch into the shed I started to panic when I noticed the Geese were not in there.


I immediately thought the fox had been as the geese always go in the shed when its dark. As panic set in I started looking everywhere for them, then after about 10 minutes I heard a noice coming from the pond.


The pond edges have been left to grow wild to encourage wildlife so the pond is somewhat hidden. Anyway I shone the torch onto the pond after fighting my way through the rushes and there was the 2 Geese.


I tried to move them with a stick but no joy, and after chasing them round and round the edge, still no luck. I was beginning to lose patience and as I got somewhere near them I tried to jump on a little island but slipped and went straight into the muddy water which was like quicksand.


After a lot of choice words and much huffing & puffing I managed to climb out the pond and headed back to the house.


My wife and son came out to see what was going on and just burst out laughing. I then had to strip off naked in the freezing cold before She Who Must Be Obeyed let me in for a bath.


After a good scrub I then went back out and with the aid of a long pole I managed finally to get the Geese off the pond and into bed.


I then did the rest of the animals & birds then headed up to the house for a much needed beer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! What a nightmare getting them to bed, bet that beer tasted better than it normally does!!

Mark Burrows said...

Still these things are sent to try us.
All part of Smallholding life I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Did you know that there is a Lincolnshire Smallholding Club? Their website is here
http://www.lsssc.org.uk/
My blog, The Sustainable Smallholding is here
http://deanom.wordpress.com/
Good Luck

DEano

Anonymous said...

Just found these and thought of you, www.wellyracks.com have a look I think your wife might like one! I'm getting my wife one.

Darren